ALOHA AND WELCOME TO THE BIG ISLAND!
OUR WELCOME AND ISLAND SAFETY GUIDE PAGE WAS CREATED TO HELP ENSURE THAT OUR GUESTS ARE AWARE OF THE MANY CAUTIONS THAT MUST BE TAKEN WHILE VISITING, ESPECIALLY BECAUSE HAWAII'S NATURAL BEAUTY INCLUDES VERY REAL DANGERS THAT OFTENTIMES ARE OVERLOOKED. IN SOME CASES, THESE MISTAKES OFTEN CAUSE SERIOUS INJURY OR DEATH. HERE, WE'D LIKE TO LIST SOME OF THE CRITICAL FACTORS YOU SHOULD KNOW IN MAKING SURE YOU HAVE A SAFE AND ENJOYABLE VISIT TO OUR ISLAND HOME.
VIDEO: HAWAII OCEAN SAFETY TIPS (PLEASE WATCH!)
1. PLEASE PAY ATTENTION TO THE OCEAN! CHOOSE A GUARDED BEACH WHERE LIFEGUARD TOWERS AND PERSONNEL ARE ON DUTY. STOP AND LOOK AT THE WATER. OBSERVE CONDITIONS, WARNINGS, ASK QUESTIONS AND USE COMMON SENSE. DO NOT TAKE RISKS AND AVOID POOR DECISIONS SUCH AS MIXING ALCOHOL WITH OCEAN ACTIVITIES OR CROSSING BARRIERS. IF YOU ARE NOT A GOOD SWIMMER, DO NOT ENTER THE OCEAN UNSUPERVISED OR OUT OF A CONTROLLED ENVIRONMENT. IF YOU ARE AN EXCELLENT SWIMMER, OUR OCEAN AND COASTS HAVE THE POWER AND UNPREDICTABLE WAVES, CURRENT, UNDERTOW AND CAVE SYSTEMS THAT CONSUME AND OVERPOWER MANY. IT HAPPENS IN SECONDS. OUR BEAUTIFUL COASTLINE AND THE OVERCONFIDENCE OF VISITORS (AND LOCALS ALIKE) CANNOT BE TAKEN FOR GRANTED. THIS CAN BE A FATAL MISTAKE SO PLEASE, PLEASE PAY ATTENTION WHENEVER AT THE BEACH OR NEAR ANY SHORELINE. GOLDEN RULE: DO NOT EVER TURN YOUR BACK TO THE OCEAN.
California Father,46 & Daughter, 6 swept off tide pools, O'ahu (July 16, 2016)
Visitor, 42 Drowns Swimming in Wailuku River, Big Island (August 10, 2016)
Visitor, 58 Drowns in Waters at Sandy Beach, O'ahu (September 2, 2016)
Visitor, 70 Drowns at Pohoiki Beach Puna, Big Island (September 6, 2016)
Visitor, 35 Drowns in Waters at Hanauma Bay, O'ahu (December 23, 2016)
Visitor, 66 Drowns in Waters off Waiohai Beach, Kauai (January 11, 2017)
Visitor, 59 Drowns in Waters at Kua Bay, Big Island (January 12, 2017)
Visitor, 33 Drowns in Cave Waianapanapa, Maui (January 29, 2017)
Visitor, 64 Drowns in Waters off Kapalua Bay, Maui (February 8, 2017)
Visitor, 72 Dies snorkeling in Kapalua Bay, Maui (March 29, 2017)
Visitor, 20's Female Drowns in Hanauma Bay, O'ahu (April 5, 2017)
Visitor, 20's Male Drowns in Hanauma Bay, O'ahu (April 5, 2017)
CA Husband & Wife, 62, 61, drown in Wailuku River, Big Island (Nov 25, 2017)
Visitor, 20's Drowns at Makalawena Beach, Big Island (Dec 5, 2017)
Six Males, 50's Drown in Maui Waters within 2 Weeks, Maui (Jan 2018)
20's Female Drowns after swept/missing in Wailuku River, Big Island (Jan 2018)
Visitor, 23 Male Drowns at South Point Cliff Jump, Big Island (Feb 2018)
Visitor, 20 Male Drowns in Rainbow Falls, Big Island (Mar 2018)
Visitor, 31 Male missing off Puna Coastline, Big Island (Apr 2018)
NOTE: We share our sympathy and aloha with regard to the tragic accidents of the above victims and their ohana. By mentioning these unfortunate incidents, we hope to help raise awareness & safety.
2. DO NOT GO HIKING WITHOUT PROPER GUIDANCE, GEAR AND SUPPLIES. IT MAY SEEM LIKE BEARINGS CANNOT BE LOST BECAUSE WE ARE ON AN ISLAND, BUT MANY HAVE FOUND THEMSELVES STRANDED AND LOST IN OUR FORESTS, VALLEYS, AND LAVA FIELDS. TRAILS WILL TURN FROM BEGINNER LEVEL INTO EXPERT LEVEL FAST. THESE CHANGES ALONG WITH EXTREME WEATHER, CLIMATE AND ELEVATION CAN CAUSE LIFE THREATENING SITUATIONS FOR ANYONE UNPREPARED.
3. DRIVE WITH ALOHA! LEAVE ON TIME OR EARLY TO PREVENT RUSHING TO AND FROM DESTINATIONS ON THE ISLAND. DO NOT DRINK AND DRIVE! OUR ROADS AND INFRASTRUCTURE ARE ISLAND-FRIENDLY, DESIGNED FOR CONSTANLY CHANGING ISLAND TERRAIN AND WEATHER. LOW SPEED LIMITS ARE FOR A REASON. THIS IS BECAUSE THE ROADS AHEAD OF YOU ARE NOT MADE TO CONTAIN A VECHICLE AT HIGH SPEED. THIS IS WHERE HEAD ON COLLISIONS OR DRIVING OFF THE HIGHWAY OCCUR. DO NOT TRY AND DRIVE HERE AS IF YOU ARE ON AN INTERSTATE, OR FREEWAY. DRIVE WITH ALOHA, SHOW THE "HANG LOOSE" OR "SHAKA" SIGN WHENEVER YOU ARE SHOWN COURTESY OR ALOHA FROM ANOTHER DRIVER AND THERE YOU HAVE IT! LIVING "ISLAND STYLE"
4. CLEAN UP AFTER YOURSELF. PLEASE "KOKUA" (HELP) IN ANY WAY YOU CAN BY KEEPING OUR "AINA" (LAND) CLEAN. OUR NATURAL RESOURCES (WATER, AGRICULTURE, FISH STOCK) DEPEND ON US ALL DOING OUR PART TO KEEP HAWAII A SUSTAINABLE, BEAUTIFUL PLACE WE CALL HOME.
5. PLEASE HEED TO ALL EMERGENCY VEHICLES INCLUDING POLICE, FIRE, EMS, OCEAN SAFETY, TRAFFIC CONTROL AND ROAD CONSTRUCTION CREWS. AS A MEMBER OF THE HAWAII COUNTY FIRE DEPARTMENT, OUR SAFETY IN RESPONDNG TO EMERGENCIES IS IMPORTANT. PLEASE BE PATIENT AND AWARE OF ANY EMERGENCY SITUATIONS ACROSS THE ISLAND. MAHALO!
6. BE SURE TO ENJOY YOURSELF! SMILE, LIVE ALOHA, SHARE ALOHA, SPEAK WITH ALOHA AND KINDNESS. RESEARCH THE TRUE MEANING OF ALOHA AND TAKE IT BACK HOME WITH YOU AND SHARE IT WITH YOUR FAMILY. IT WILL ALWAYS BE AN IMPORTANT PART OF YOUR LIFE, AND WILL BRING YOU THE WARMTH OF OUR ISLAND HOME!
ALOHA AND WELCOME TO THE BIG ISLAND!
SINCERELY, JOEY GLORY
Video Blog Archives!
See our past video segments bringing you a glimpse of the Big Island of Hawaii!
2014 KILAUEA ERUPTION
AS SHOWN BELOW, A MAJOR REDIRECTION OF KILAUEA'S FLOW ADVANCED TOWARD THE TOWN OF PAHOA IN 2014 AND CAUSED SIGNIFICANT DAMAGE TO OUTLYING AREAS OF THE TOWN. RESIDENT AND BUSINESS EVACUATIONS WERE MADE ALONG THE IMMEDIATE FLOW PATH. BELOW IS A DETAILED ACCOUNT OF EVENTS THAT TOOK PLACE IN 2014.
"THE LEADING EDGE OF THE CURRENT FLOW PICTURED BELOW IS STALLED, BUT HAS RECENTLY OVERTAKEN ACRES OF THE WAO KELE O PUNA FOREST RESERVE, PRIVATE PROPERTY, A LOCAL CEMETERY AND ONE SINGLE FAMILY HOME. IT CROSSED OVER, COVERED AND SHUT DOWN APA'A STREET AND THE PAHOA TRANSFER STATION LAST MONTH AND THREATENED MANY OTHER NEARBY HOMES CLOSING IN TOWARD PAHOA VILLAGE ROAD. OFFICIALS ARE NOW TRACKING ANOTHER ACTIVE FLOW FRONT APPROX. 2.4 MILES UPSLOPE HEADED IN A NORTHEASTERLY DIRECTION WITH ADVANCEMENTS AT APPROX 200 YARDS PER DAY. THE ESTIMATED FLOWPATH HEADS IN THE DIRECTION OF THE PAHOA MARKETPLACE/MALAMA MARKET AREA. THERE HAS BEEN A DEFLATION IN THE SUMMIT SLOWING THE FLOW OVERALL, BUT THE TOPOGRAPHY TURNS INTO A MUCH STEEPER DESCENT HEADED IN THE MARKETPLACE DIRECTION. DAILY ASSESSMENTS WILL CONTINUE TO PROVIDE UPDATES WE WILL PROVIDE YOU AS INFORMATION BECOMES AVAILABLE."
2018 KILAUEA ERUPTION
CURRENT ERUPTION DAILY UPDATES
5/31/2018 Aloha. Thursday, 6am update. Fissure activity is still fountaining high in the air feeding the down slope flow front. As of 6pm last night, Kapoho Beach Lots and Vacationland residents advised to evacuate due to the possibility of access cut off by lava at Beach Road near 4 corners. Leilani Estates mandatory evacuation in effect past Pomaikai Street. A 6am to 7pm curfew is currently being enforced.
5/29/2018 Aloha. Tuesday, 12pm update. Highway 132 is closed from Lava Tree State Park to 4-corners intersection (132/137) due to an approaching lava flow. HVO reports flow is currently 100 yards away. Only residents with placards can access HWY 137 beyond 4-corners. If lava crosses 132, Vacationland and Kapoho Beach lots will have extended power outages.
5/24/2018 Aloha. Today, after three weeks of eruption activity, our early morning 4am lava boat tour got to check out a THIRD lava flow that is now entering the ocean. With no signs of slowing down, the current flowpath has broken off and branched into a third location between Mackenzie State Park and Pohoiki Bay in an area called Malama Flats. Eruption continues in Leilani Estates & Lanipuna Gardens. Fissure #7 reactuvated with lava moving into Leilani Estates covering Kaupilu Street and Mohala Street between Leilani Avenue and the fissure line.
5/13/2018 Aloha. Today, fissures 18 and 19 emerged in line with the previous sections of fissure outbreaks. The re-emergence of furious activity took place Sunday making for a beautiful-yet-violent Sunday night. These fissures reached heights of 300 ft plus and have traveled over a mile toward the ocean. This is located over private farm property and is threatening to cover much more due to how much lava it has been producing. There are still very high alerts warning of Sulfur Dioxide and other poisonous gasses in the area. The flow is running semi-parallel with Highway 132 and directly in line with Highway 137. Please keep informed with further updates.
5/12/2018 Aloha. Today, fissure #16 opened at about 0645am. It produced a lava flow that traveled about 250 yards before stalling mid-afternoon. Fissure 16 opened in a field area where no structures were threatened. At 6:00pm, fissure #17 opened up. This new outbreak is activeley spattering and degassing but no flow was reported yet. Fissure 17 is located about 1/2 mile northeast of Hinalo Road, close to fissure 16. Earthquake activity has continued thruought the afternoon and night. Emergency officials are still warning of the possibility of a steam explosion out of Halema'uma'u Crater. There is also a reccomendation for evacuation readiness for the entire lower Puna area. Residents are also advised to be prepared for wind shift and the exposure to high concentrations of Sulfur Dioxide and other gas emissions from the active volcanic vents. Stay informed for daily updates and new lava flow developments.
5/11/2018 Aloha. Hawaii Volcanoes National Park is now closed indefinitely, due to the possibility of a steam-driven explosive eruption as depicted below from Halema'uma'u Crater. Volcanologists predict that if lava lake levels continue to drop, (eventulally below the water table level) this will cause a massive steam explosion. This would result in a plume of steam, ash and possibly debris hurled into the air affecting the immediate and possibly miles of surrounding districts. Please keep updated on Hawaii Volcano National Park changes. Also, once again there are still high concentrations of poisonous Sulfur Dioxide in the Puna District (Opihikao, Nanawale, Kapoho, Leilani and Black Sands) emitting from the recent lava flows. Pahoa is still safe and west-northwest of the impact zone but heed emergency warnings as they are changing daily. Mahalo
5/10/2018 Aloha. The past week has been an unbelievable time for Big Island residents, particularly those who live in the Leilani Subdivision in the district of Puna. To give you a brief history, over the past month Kilauea Volcano (Hawaii's youngest and only active volcano) showed high levels of inflation, or rise in lava levels at the summit. Two of its main craters, Halema'uma'u and Pu'u O'o both experienced record high inflations where the lava lakes inside rose and overflowed. This increase was coupled with seismic activity, logging hundreds of micro-earthquakes in the district. Over time, the earthquakes grew larger and eventually spread out over the East Rift Zone, which includes the Puna District. Then suddenly there was a collapse in both craters and an immediate dropout of the lava in both dissapeared without warning. As you can imagine, the massive amounts of lava would now pressurize the East Rift Zone. The earthquakes continued and cracks in the roads and neighborhood of Leilani Estates were recognized. Then suddenly, what many feared happened. Steam emerged from the earth in the subdivision and the first fissure opened up, spurting out a lava eruption and emitting dangerous Sulfur Dioxide gasses. Over the past week, 15 different fissures opened up in the neighborhood prompting the evacuation in upwards of 1,700 residents. In a matter of days, 36 structures were destroyed including 27 homes. 116 acres of the area have been covered by lava to date in the commmunity. Hawaii Civil Defense, USGS, Police, Fire, Hawaii National Guard and numerous community volunteers have been engaged and taking part in the affected area and disaster relief.
4/27/2018 Aloha. Currently, there have been very high levels of inflation at the Volcano Summit. Lava from the Halemaumau Crater is flowing over the rim and covering the floor. Aside from the many smaller earthquakes every day at the volcano, two stronger ones were recorded this week; a magnitude 2.7 and magnitude 3.2 inside Hawaii Volcanoes National Park. Estimations are there could be new outbreaks on the East Rift Zone near Pu'u O'o. In the past, large inflation activity occurring at the summit contributed to formations of increased coastal plain activity eventually forming the past 61g tube system and surface flows into the ocean.
LAVA BOAT TOURS
CALL TODAY FOR A
ASK US ABOUT ANY
OF INTEREST OR SPECIAL
CONTACT US TODAY!
Guests, Large Groups
& Film Crews:
Please contact us
This ensures availability,
same-vessel travel and